The Guyana Geology and Mines Chemical Laboratory is a section of the Geological Services Division and comprise the following sub-sections:
- Sample Preparation
- Wet Chemistry
- Atomic Absorption Spectrometry
- Fire Assay
- Bullion Assay
Analytical Services Provided by the GGMC Laboratory
- Sample Preparation of all Geological Materials – rocks, cores, soil, gravel, sediment, slag, concentrates, etc. Processes include the following: sort, dry, crush, split, pulverize, cone and quarter or roll, screening to desired mesh sizes, labeling and repackaging.
- Wet and Dry Sieve Analysis for Particle Size Determination of soils and gravels.
- Specific Gravity and Bulk Density Determinations of geological materials.
- Determination of Moisture Content of geological materials.
- Determination of organic carbon content of geological materials by the Loss on Ignition Method (L.O.I.)
- Determination of Major Oxide composition of geological materials by Hydrofluoric Acid attack ‘in the cold’.
- Geochemical Base Metal Analysis by Aqua Regia Digestion – A suite of eight metals is determined, viz. Silver, Copper, Cobalt, Chromium, Nickel, Lead, Manganese and Zinc.
- Precious metals analysis by the following methods:
- Fire Assay/AA/Gravimetric (total gold).
- Geochemical extraction with organic solvents.
- Amalgamation and Parting (free gold)
- Determination of gold in Geological Materials by geochemical digestion and extraction with organic solvents.
- Forensic testing of raw gold by Fire Assay and Wet Chemical /Spectrometric Methods.
- Weight and Karat Determination of Gold / Silver Jewellery
- Bullion Assay of raw gold, alloys and jewellery.
- Purification of gold and silver from slags by Fire Assay.
- Environmental Testing of water samples for the following parameters: pH, Turbidity and Total Suspended Solids.
- The Laboratory is responsible for generating analytical data by means of Spectrometric, Gravimetric, Wet
- Complement Geological Mapping
- Facilitate Mineral Deposit Evaluation and Beneficiations Studies
- Facilitate the establishment of a Geochemical Data Base to elucidate the geology, mineral occurrences
and mineralization characteristics of Guyana
- Provide services in support of the local Gold Mining Industries
- Provide services in support of the Jewellery Industries for both the local and export markets
- Provide forensic service to the Guyana Police Force
- Provide services to assist in Environmental Protection Programmes
- Provide valuable information for Legislature and Regulatory Organisations
Chemical and physical methods in order to achieve the following goals in assisting the Mining Industry and
other related Industries and Organisations in Guyana:
- Preparation of Rock and Core / slag
- Preparation of soil, stream sediment
- Bulk Density Test
- Specific Gravity Test
- Moisture Content Determination of Soils
- Loss on Ignition Determination (L.O.I.)
- Fire Assay
- Gold Bullion Assay
- Geochemical Methods
- Gold Purification/ Extraction
- Silver Extraction / Refining
- Base Metal Analysis
- Major Oxides Determination
- Water Analysis for pH
- AND MUCH MORE
See Details & Prices