The Guyana Geology and Mines Commission wishes to inform you that it will be hosting this year’s Mining Week from the 20th to 26th of August 2017, under the theme “Mining Clean, Living Green”.
We consider that the removal of mercury from the recovery cycle is still a high priority for discussion. Secondly, improving safety at the small and medium scale level of mining operations remains critical and finally, amplifying or expanding the conversation on developing ‘other’ minerals in the context of our chosen theme is another discussion we would like to promote.
List of Events:
1. Opening and Award Ceremony on August 20th, 2017 (By Invitation Only)
2. National Mining and Quarry Conference on August 21st and 22nd, 2017 at the Pegasus Hotel
3. National Mining Exhibition at the Pegasus Hotel on August 21st from 15.00 hrs. to 2100 hours and on August 22nd, 2017 from 10.00 hrs. to 21:00 hrs.
4. Porkknocker Day on Saturday, August 26th, 2017 at Bayrock Ground, Wismar, Linden.
The awards ceremony will recognize the following categories of persons within the mining sector;
1. Most Innovative Miner
2. Most Safety Conscious Miner
3. Most Environmentally Conscious Miner
4. Most Efficient Miner
5. Most Productive Mining Operation
6. Best Sand Mining Operation Monitored
7. Best Practices In Quarry Management
8. Best Practices Aimed Towards Achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s) In Mining
9. Most Productive Female Mining Operation
Pork Knocker Day is expected to feature the following competitions and demonstrations;
Cooking competition for Bahirs, Bateling Competition, Warishi/Tacouba Crossing Race for Miners, Jigging Competition, Camp Building Competition, Shoveling Competition, Mine Rescue Demonstration, and First Aid Demonstration.